Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Never a dull moment...

Dakota, Cooper, and I had a great playdate this morning with our new friends. When we got home, I put Cooper to bed and Koty was sitting on the couch. All of a sudden, Dakota started screaming and freaking out. I was having a very difficult time figuring out what the heck was wrong with her. She kept sticking her finger up her nostril and saying, "It's bweeding, it's bweeding!" Then she said, "There's a bee up my nose, I put a bee up my nose!" It didn't make any sense at all. I thought maybe a fly had landed on her nose and that she thought it flew up there. Then I thought that maybe she stuck a dead bug, that she could have happened upon, up her nose. Regardless, she was screaming and something was up her nose. I tried to get her to blow, but all she did was inhale. I didn't want whatever it was to get lodged up there further, so we stopped that and headed to Urgent Care.
She had calmed down significantly, so I wondered if whatever it was had gone away. Then I pushed on the side of the bridge of her nose and she freaked out again. While waiting for our turn, it occurred to me that she wasn't saying, "bee," she was saying, "bead." Then it all made sense. She had found a bead in the car that she and Taylor had been playing with the other day. When we got home from our playdate, she picked it up and brought it in the house. While I was putting Coop to bed and filling Richard in on my fun morning, I totally forgot that she was playing with that bead.
We got in to see the doctor and he shined a light up her nostril and something was sparkling up there. He asked Dakota what color the bead was and she told him that it was purple. She did not want him sticking tweezers up there and would not hold still for the doctor. He went and got another nurse to assist in holding her down and once we had her pinned, he was able to get it out in a jiffy! We were all surprised to see that it was indeed a purple bead! :) Dakota was thrilled to have it out of her nose and thanked the doctor over and over again. As we were walking out together, she again said, "Thank you, Doctor, for getting that bead out of my nose!" As we were driving home, Dakota suddenly started sniffing and breathing in and out her nose really fast. She exclaimed, "Hey! I can smell again!" She also made up a song that included the fast nasal breathing and the lyrics, "thank you doctor...sniff sniff sniff...thank you doctor...sniff sniff sniff!" She is such a cute little trouble maker!

(the dime is for size reference, fortunately that was not stuck up her nose too!)
Exhibit A:

5 comments:

Leanne said...

I loved her song. What a silly girl. I'm glad it wasn't the dime too. Oh Koty!!

Laura B said...

hey, remember when you used to put pennies in your nose and be the hunchback? at least, i think that was what it was, it was a very long time ago

Unknown said...

ohhh DAKOTA! That kid! love her though! :)

Anonymous said...

I stuck a peg from a board game up my nose when I was small. It hurt and those tweezers are terrible. I feel her pain.

Shaun and Jessy Cheney said...

yikes, that sounds painful!